Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Untold Story of Finigus Lane

Timid yet noble, Finigus marched to the local market every morning in search of fresh fruits. Two peaches, three apples, and a septuplet of oranges were all Finigus needed to get him through his day.

“Good mornin’ Betty,” said Finigus to the attractive, young fish saleswoman.

“Well hello there Finigus. Mighty fine weather we’re havin’, eh?”

“Yes ma’am.”

Before going any further, there is something you should know about our dear old Finigus. Finigus did not feel pain, nor love, nor anger, nor hunger, nor joy, nor sorrow, nor even excitement. He was born without emotions. Some say it is because he has no heart, others say it is due to a tumor pressing upon the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus in his brain. While most take these feelings for granted, Finigus cannot begin to dream of such sensations. He also had a lizard tongue.

Finigus returned home to his wife with a basket of fresh fruit later that morning.

“FINIGUS! TELL ME YOU LOVE ME!” Cried his wife.

Finigus put down the fruit, and turned to his wife. He looked at her for a moment; her smooth black hair and her deep brown eyes as hollow and dark as the night itself. He cleared his throat, “I am a man confined to the limits of motion; trapped within a world of expressions that mean nothing more than an action. I see blue - I do not feel blue. I see death - I do not fear death. When will I awake to find the beauty you speak of in this shallow world? I am a prisoner to my skeleton and the skin which surrounds it. If I am blessed to be alive and to breathe in the fresh air each day then why do I fail to feel the magnificence of such a miracle. I am nothing more than a mirror to the rest of the world.”

His wife looked back at him for a moment, not moving her position. Then she spoke, “Finigus, each night when we are alone in our room, I take off my clothes for you. You look back at me, and every time you are erect. Finigus, if you cannot feel anything, tell me, how then is this possible?”

Finigus flicked his lizard tongue out at his wife. “I’m not sure. That thing has a mind of its own.”

Just then there came a sinister chuckle from within the pants of Finigus.

This story is about a girl that I know… with metaphors.

No comments:

Post a Comment